Now that we have recommended users adopt Firefox and Thunderbird for their browser and e-mail needs, some people have asked how to go about migrating their data. Thanks to the Netscape Champions we now have some FAQ on how to accomplish this.
Q: How Do I Migrate From Netscape Navigator 9 To Firefox?
A: Note: This will only work with a new installation of Firefox
Note: Make sure that Navigator and Firefox are NOT running
1. Install Firefox and make a note of where the profile is located, usually in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
2. Locate your Navigator 9 profile, usually in C:\Documents and Settings\usernameApplication Data\Netscape\Navigator
3. In the Navigator directory, hilite both "profiles.ini" and the /Profile/ directory and copy both to the clipboard using CTRL+C
4. Go to the /Firefox/ directory and paste the contents of the clipboard using CTRL+V and when prompted to overwrite, answer YES
That's it, when you start Firefox, the Navigator 9 profile will now be in Firefox
Note: You MUST have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled in your explorer view options
Note: If you have multiple profiles, all will be migrated using this method.
Q: How Do I Migrate From Netscape Messenger 9 To Thunderbird?
A: The best way is to move the profile directory and profiles.ini in the same fashion as moving from Netscape Navigator 9 to Firefox that is outlined above.
Q: How Do I Migrate From Netscape 8 To Firefox?
A: There is no direct way to migrate to Firefox successfully as there is no import routine included in Firefox to migrate from Netscape 8.
However, through a lot of trial and error on my part, I have come up with a successful method. Assuming that you have not installed Navigator 9:
Note: Make sure any master passwords are removed before migrating.
1. Make sure that Netscape 8 is your default browser => Tools => Options => General => Default Browser
2. Download (http://browser.netscape.com) Navigator 220.127.116.11 and install. During installation you will be prompted to migrate from a list of applications, choose Netscape 8. That's it, all there is to it
If Navigator 9 is already installed:
1. Make sure that Netscape 8 is your default browser **IMPORTANT**
2. Edit your Navigator 9 desktop shortcut by right-clicking the shortcut and select "Properties"
3. Edit the commmand line, so that it reads: "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Navigator 9\navigator.exe" -p "default" -migration
Note: "default" is the profile name, yours may vary.
4. If you have more than one profile, substitute "default" for the name of your other profile(s)
5. Double click the shortcut to initiate the migration routine.
Now the move to Firefox:
1. Install Firefox (latest version)
2. Locate your profile path for Navigator 9, usually in: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Netscape\Navigator
Note: There is one directory /profiles/ and two files => pluginreg.dat and Profiles.ini.
Hilite the profiles directory and profiles.ini only and hit CTRL+C to copy to the clipboard
3. Locate your new Firefox profile in: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox Now, hit CTRL+V to paste from the clipboard and when prompted to overwrite, answer YES
4. Your Navigator 9 profile has now been transferred to Firefox which was originally migrated from Netscape 8
Q: How do I migrate from Netscape 6 or 7 to Firefox?
A: New installs of Firefox will present you with a migration wizard dialog allowing you to select to migrate from Netscape 6 or 7.
Q: How do I migrate from Netscape 6 or 7 to Thunderbird?
A: New installs of Thunderbird will present you with a migration wizard dialog allowing you to select to migrate from Netscape 6 or 7.